St. John's Church of God in Christ was founded by Elder John Johnson at 7 Dongan Ave., Albany, NY, in March of 1952. The original membership included Elder Johnson, his wife Dorothy, seven children, and the current church mother, Mother Vera (Dupie) Johnson. Some of the members at the Dongan Avenue location was:Elder and Sister McCoy, Mother Garland, Mother Anna Gaston, Mother Glass, Brother Marshall and sister Elizabeth Thompson, and Mother Julia Battle from Florida.
In 1954 the church, along with it's 15 members moved to a store-front located at 193 Green St. In 1957 St. John's experienced a great outpouring of the Holy Ghost and many young adults were saved. In April of 1958 Elder John Johnson's wife, Sis. Dorothy Johnson suddenly died at the young age of 40. Sis. Johnson was known as a prophetess, and a Bible reader that could find a number of scripture references to each scripture the preacher would call for at a moment s notice. Elder John Johnson never married again.
In 1960 St. John's again experienced growth beyond its capacity and soon moved to 71 South Ferry St. During the late 50's, and the early 60's that The Youth Circle was in full bloom. Pastor Johnson always was a youth leader. He organized the Youth Circle after he Had a vision from the Lord to go up and down the river and gather the young people together. The Youth Circle from the late 50's until the early 70's traveled thousands of miles, bringing its fresh inspiration to thousands of young and adult people in over 20 cities of the Northeast. St. Johns through Eld. John Johnson was the main support for the Youth Circle.
On February 3, 1960 St. Johns Church of God in Christ was legally incorporated. The trustees that signed the incorporation papers at that time was: John Johnson, John Dockery, Willie Nobles, Shirley Canada, Joe Lee Thomas, Elton Johnson, and Elijah J. Jones. Here again the Holy Ghost moved in a mighty way saving a number of young and older persons including a number of present Pastors, Evangelists, Leaders in the Capital District and surrounding areas.
In 1974, continual growth and support produced yet another relocation to 94 Herkimer St. in the heart of downtown Albany. At 94 Herkimer St. a great outpouring of the Holy Spirit occurred among the teenagers. A large number of were saved and baptized in the Holy Ghost. People would come far and wide on the third Sundays to see the young people on fire for God. A number of present day preachers, and missionaries were born from this move of God.
In 1995 St. John's purchased a block of land bordered by Green St., Fourth Ave., and Vine St. In December 2013, Greater St. John's COGIC Family and Community Worship Center opened at 74 Fourth Ave. It is here, in our current home, that we will continue to serve God and Godly serve mankind.